Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Plane Thinking

(Written October 1, posted October 2)

We got up at 5, collected our things, and went to the train station. It was still dark, of course. We were both exhausted. Not just from a fun night and little sleep, but from thinking about this day so many times and from our adventures the last 61 days. Checking out of that last hostel felt so good.

We walked a few blocks to the train station, where we caught the 31 minute train to FCO Airport. It was more expensive than the bus to the airport (€14 vs €6), but we had some bad experiences with buses in Europe being late or whatever, and the trains are relatively reliable. The bus also would've been nearly an hour, and we just wanted to get there with plenty of time to spare.

We got to the airport and it was all very weird. Maybe it was just too early for us. We had to take a bus to the terminal, where they first asked us a bunch of questions about our bags. Then we checked in and got our boarding passes, then went through security, and got on another bus to the gate. They questioned us again about our luggage at the gate before boarding. None of the shops or the one food place was open when we got there. There were no outlets to charge things, not enough bathrooms, and the airport was very confusing for us. Nevertheless we made it onto the plane, which took off 30 minutes late. But we were both sound asleep well before take-off. I only woke up enough to glance out at Europe one last time and say a silent goodbye.

And here we sit. 10 hours in coach, in one of the big 2-3-2 planes. We are in the middle 3-seat section. They played Iron Man 3, which was too intense for me during turbulence, an episode of Parks and Rec, and Life of Pi. I've been sleeping most of the time. As I write this now we are off the coast of Canada, a little over 2 hours from landing.

Did I mention I have the best mom ever? She is picking us up at the airport. Dad too. I can't wait. Far better than taking a bus back to them.

This whole flight has felt so weird. The whole time I have felt... Unsettled. I tried to explain it to Jeremy but couldn't. He seems content at least.

I guess I am just really emotional. I have wanted to come home so many times and now I am. I am leaving what may well be one of the biggest adventures of my life. I am going to see my family. I am anxious about unpacking and feeling clean or dirty. I want to shower but I still feel like I am on my way to another dirty hostel. I am happy and sad and anxious and dirty and nervous. I feel like crying but I don't know why!

Maybe I'm just tired.

I think it's going to take me a few days to feel normal, to feel like Europe wasn't a dream and neither was my life before. To feel clean and back on east coast time. Until then I'm still not sure what to say.
And when I'm not sure what to say, the only thing I can say are the facts. The numbers. So here you go- our final statistics.

Some are compared to half time- the post I did half-way through our trip.

Cities we've seen
1. London
2. Dublin
3. Paris
4. Amsterdam
5. Copenhagen
6. Berlin
7. Prague
8. Budapest
9. Vienna
10. Salzburg
11. Munich
12. Interlaken
13. Milan
14. Florence
15. Siena (day trip)
16. Pisa (half day)
17. San Gimignano (half day)
18. Venice (day trip)
19. Rome
20. Pompei (day trip)

Countries we passed through
1. Iceland
2. England
3. Ireland
4. France
5. Belgium
6. The Netherlands
7. Denmark
8. Germany
9. Czech Republic
10. Slovakia
11. Hungary
12. Austria
13. Switzerland
14. Italy

Days we used on our 15 day rail pass- all 15

Walking tours we've done- 6 at half time, 3 since then (only 2 for Jeremy) and I am counting audio guide tours. Guess we got a little tired of walking tours! Haha

Nights out drinking- 6 ish at half time, probably 12-14 now depending on which one of us you ask

Trains we've taken- We have used our rail pass on 34 trains the whole trip, and I think that's what I was calling international trains at half time (when we had taken 13). But some of the ones in Italy were regional Tuscany trains. There haven't been many metro rides at all since half time- a few in Rome, a couple in Milan, but mostly we have been walking.

I'm not even going to do best meals again. Suffice it to say we ate very well in Italy. :)

Hostel/hotel/guest beds I've slept in-17

Nights until I'm in my OWN bed again- 0!!!

Friends we've made (worthy of Facebook friendship)- 4 at half time, 7 more since then! Pretty cool.

Pictures I've taken- 673 at half time, over 2,000 but its hard to say because I have 2,403 on my phone but a lot are not pictures of the trip- screen shots take up a lot of that and a lot are information (maps, flight info, etc). Yes, I had to delete a lot of stuff on my phone!

Pictures Jeremy has taken- 354 at half time, 868 total now

Museums visited- 4 at half time, 5 since then = 9

Days it rained- 9 OUT OF 62- THAT IS AMAZING!!!! And I can say it now without jinxing the rest of the trip! Such good luck.

Best beer we've had- windmill brewery in Amsterdam, Liter of beer at the beer garden in Munich

Best wine- white wine on the bridge in Paris, Tuscan wine in the square in Siena, all of the vino della casa (house wine) enjoyed with friends in Italy

Times our passports have been stamped- still only 3! Thank you European Union for making my passport look pretty boring... At least there was no waiting in customs lines!

Times we paid to use a bathroom- 4-5ish, not bad

Number of rooms we've stayed in with AC- still only 1 (the hotel in Amsterdam)

Showers I have taken since half time (1 month)- 22ish

Showers Jeremy has taken since half time- maybe around 18-19ish

Times we did laundry- 6.5

Days we took off to relax- 4

Our favorite cities in no order because it's too hard:
Jeremy- Paris, Dublin, Amsterdam, Florence
Hali- Florence, Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin

Cities we agreed we wouldn't go back to:
Milan, London, Pompeii

Trip Highlight:
Jeremy- Canyon Swing (the bungee-type thing) in Interlaken
Hali- Italy in general

Favorite sights (not ordered) since half-time
- Dachau Concentration Camp
- The view from the top of our hike in the Alps
- Florence Duomo
- Venice as a whole
- Coliseum
- Vatican

Again TMI but....
Times we've shaved since half time
Jeremy- 3ish?
Hali- 1 (I know. Shaving ASAP. Wearing long sleeves until then)

Favorite hostels:
1. Interlaken
2. Prague
3. Florence

Worst hostels:
1. Munich
2. Milan
3. Rome

And the hostel really makes or breaks the city experience!

September flew by as expected, and as I predicted in my half-time blog.

Things I threw away while packing my bag up to fly home:
- 5 pairs underwear
- 3 pairs socks
- 3 white, gross, smelly, stained t-shirts
- toiletries I didn't and wouldn't use
- maps and tickets for various things
- water bottles and food
... and my backpack is great and light, even with a few things I'm bringing back. But more on that later.

First thing we want to do when we get home after hugging our families:
Hali- Shower
Jeremy- Drive

Hours we've slept on the plane
Hali- 4ish
Jeremy- 2ish

That is all I can think of!

More from home. We have to fill out these papers for customs and border patrol before we land. So close!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment